It’s John from Debate Academy and today we’re going to go over some reasons why debate is awesome and why you should do it. This will help you understand the big picture of debate’s value so you can stay motivated and keep improving!
Let’s jump right into it.
- You’ll be incredible at arguing!
Well, you’re probably already “good” at arguing, but debate will teach you how to make arguments so bullet-proof that your friends and family won’t want to disagree with you. You’ll also become excellent at attacking any position and defending your opinions.
- You’ll develop better thinking skills:
Critical Thinking, Rapid information processing, in depth Research, and exposure to Diverse subject matter: ranging from greek philosophy to nuclear terrorism.
These are just some of the ways in which debate will expand your mind.
- You’ll develop an interesting and supportive community.
You’ll work with your team-mates and come up with complicated and unique arguments. You’ll get to know competitors from other schools and will exchange ideas.
You’ll find mentorship and support from judges and coaches that want you to keep improving and succeeding.
- You’ll feel empowered to develop your own opinions and express your perspective. The more you can clearly define your position on different topics, the more you can understand and express yourself.
- You’ll perform better in college. Numerous reports have shown that participating in high school policy debate is one of the best ways to prepare for the strenuous academic environment of college. A lot of the research and case building that is core to debate, parallels actual college work.
- You’ll experience life-long benefits that will continue to reward you far beyond high school and college. I’ve utilized the skills I learned in debate to become an entrepreneur and build companies.
There are many other reasons to join the debate team, but those are some of the big ones that have stood out again and again.
To recap: If you stick with debate you will become better at arguing, improve your thinking skills, develop a supportive community, you’ll be empowered to express yourself, you’ll likely perform better in college, and you’ll experience life-long benefits!
That’s all for this lesson. Congratulations on taking the next step to becoming a successful policy debater. I’ll see you in the next episode.